Before first semester registration: Meet with the Director of Graduate Studies or your temporary graduate advisor to plan a course of study for your first semester; confirm any prerequisite needs.
During the first semester: Take each course required from both the Mathematical Course Group AND Computational Course Group.
Before the end of the second semester:
- Begin the process of identifying faculty research interests compatible with your academic or career goals.
- Establish a doctoral supervisory committee.
- Submit a degree plan.
- Submit paper to peer reviewed journal(s).
During the third semester:
- Finish taking core courses, checking to make sure that all have been completed.
- Submit second paper to peer reviewed journal(s).
By the end of the fourth semester: Take doctoral Preliminary Examination.
During the fifth semester: Submit the dissertation proposal and also the progress report this semester and thereafter.
During final semester:
- Apply for the degree.
- Pay the diploma fee.
- Schedule the final oral defense through your committee chair.
- Defend dissertation.
- Arrange for cap and gown at FAMU or FSU bookstore.
|Course Work||Committee, Exams & Reports||Research Work||Time (Approx.)|
|Phase I||Core Courses & Other||Formation of Committee||Limited||3 Semesters|
|Phase II||Depth Courses & Other||Preliminary Exam||Dissertation Proposal Submission||2 Semesters|
|Phase III||More as Needed||Submission of
Progress Report (Each Semester)
|Dissertation||Dissertation & Journal Articles||8 Semesters|