In the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Florida A&M University - Florida State University College of Engineering
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Florida A&M University – Florida State University (FAMU-FSU) joint College of Engineering invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor position in Coastal Engineering with a focus on Coastal Resilience. The successful candidate’s expertise is expected to complement and strengthen existing faculty research and teaching in civil and environmental engineering. Applicants should have expertise in one or more areas of coastal engineering, including but not limited to:
- wind/wave action
- erosion and sediment transport
- beach protection and renourishment
- marine renewable energy
- natural hazard impacts on coastal infrastructure
- coastal resources
- instrumentation for coastal and offshore measurements
In addition, the successful candidate will demonstrate an understanding of the barriers preventing full participation of members from historically underrepresented and marginalized student communities in higher education. We expect to hire at the Assistant Professor rank, but exceptional candidates for the Associate Professor rank will be considered.
The FAMU-FSU College of Engineering is unique in combining two outstanding universities with overlapping but distinct missions—the nation’s top public Historically Black College/University and one of the nation’s Top 20 Public Universities and Highest Research Activity Universities. As such, we provide outstanding research and entrepreneurship-based education to one of the most diverse student populations in the U.S. The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering has a strong and growing reputation with a special focus on disaster resilience and sustainability, recently establishing the Center for Resilient Infrastructure and Disaster Response (RIDER). The successful candidate will join 21 full-time faculty members in a department with approximately 400 undergraduate and 80 graduate students and will work closely with colleagues at the RIDER Center, the FAMU School of the Environment, the FSU Department of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Science, and various centers on both campuses.
PREFERRED AND REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Candidates must have an earned doctorate in civil and/or environmental engineering or closely related field. Post-doctoral experience in related topic areas is preferred. The successful candidate is expected to establish and maintain a robust externally-funded research program, have a strong commitment to diversity and teaching excellence in undergraduate and graduate courses, and participate in college and professional service. Possession of a Professional Engineering (PE) License or the ability to obtain a Florida PE license is highly desirable.
Submit the following, combined into one single PDF file and send to the contact email: CEECoastalSearch@eng.famu.fsu.edu
- A cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- A research statement including research interests and plans
- A statement on teaching plans and philosophy
- A statement on diversity and inclusion plans and experiences
- No more than four selected publications for review
- The names and contact information of four potential references
- An Equal Employment Opportunity Survey for Faculty Applicants (https://eng.famu.fsu.edu/sites/default/files/pdfs/FAMU-FSU-COE-EEOC-Form-f…)
- Any questions about the position should be directed to Dr. Lisa Spainhour, Department Chair, via email. Applications should be received by January 20th, 2022 to receive full consideration but will be reviewed until the position is filled. The appointment is expected to begin August 2022. Additional information about both universities and the department may be found here.
Criminal Background Check:
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
Florida A&M University and Florida State University are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers that encourage applications from minorities and women, and comply with the American Disabilities Act. Both are public records agencies pursuant to Chapter 119, Florida Statutes.