Skip to main content

CBE Academic Advising


First Time in College of Transfer Students

When first entering the College of Engineering, students should report to the College of Engineering Office of Student Services (Room B111 COE) for academic advising. An initial orientation session prior to the start of the student's first term may serve as this advising session.

Continuing Pre-Engineering Majors

Until a student has met the College of Engineering "Pre-Engineering Retention Requirements", their major remains Pre-Engineering, and they must be academically advised by the Office of the Associate Dean for Student Affairs (Room B111 COE)

CBE Majors

Once a student has officially transferred to the Department (i.e., properly changed their major from Pre-Engineering to one of the majors within the BS Degree in Chemical Engineering or the BS Degree in Biomedical Engineering), they must be academically advised each term by the Department. Students will need to have their transcript evaluated prior to being assigned a permanent faculty advisor. E-mail the Department Main Office at or call 410-6149 to schedule an initial appointment for transcript evaluation. Students should bring a copy of their unofficial transcript to this initial advising appointment.

All majors within the Department of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering are placed on a registration "Hold" before the start of each term until they are advised. An academic "hold" or "stop" means that students will not be able to register for classes. Students must be academically advised in person by their assigned faculty advisor each semester or the academic "hold" will not be removed. Not being academically advised in a timely fashion can result in students being assessed late registration fees.

After the initial transcript assessment meeting, students will be assigned a permanent faculty advisor. Students must meet face-to-face with their faculty advisor during every academic term of each year. All faculty have posted office hours, during which students may "walk in" for an advising session. A formal advising appointment may also be scheduled with the individual faculty member via e-mail. An academic advisement form (see below for navigation steps) must be presented to their faculty advisor at the meeting. The original advising form that is signed and approved by the advisor will be retained in the student's academic folder, and a copy of the form will be given to the student. After the advising form has been signed by the faculty advisor, the "hold" on a student's registration will be removed.

Navigating to the CBE Department Online Academic Advising App
*This form must be filled out every term prior to your advising appointment. If a student is being advised for the Summer and Fall terms simultaneously, then two separate forms must be filled out.

  1. Go to the main COE website:
  2. Click “Departments” in the top Navigation Bar.
  3. Click “Chemical & Biomedical”. Click “CBE Students” in the top Navigation Bar.
  4. Click "CBE Undergraduate Resources". Click "Advising Form".
  5. Fill out both on-line pages of the advising form completely, including grades for pre-requisite courses.
  6. Print 2 copies of the completed sheet and bring them with you to meet with your advisor.

NOTE: To meet with your advisor, stop by their faculty office during their regularly scheduled office hours or send them an e-mail. Faculty office hours and e-mails are posted on the outside of the CBE Department office door (Room A131).