Chair and Professor
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, The Ohio State University, 1999
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Tianjin University, 1989
- Cell and Tissue Engineering
- Progress Energy Faculty Development Award, 2005
- Inventor Award, FAMU/FSU College of Engineering, 2005
- Invited to participate in Frontiers of Engineering, National Academy of Engineering, Dearborn, MI, 2006
- Innovator Award, Florida State University, 2007
- Developing Scholar Award, Florida State University, 2008
Publications | Google Scholar
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles:
- Low-oxygen pretreatment enhances endothelial cell growth and retention under physiologically relevant shear stress, F. Zhao, K. Sellgren, and T. Ma*, Tissue Engineering C, Methods, 15(2), 135-146, 2009.
- Hypoxia and stem cell - based engineering of mesenchymal tissues (Review) Teng Ma*, Warren L. Grayson, Mirjam Fröhlich, and Gordana Vunjak-Novakovic. Biotechnology Progress, Special Issue on Stem Cell Engineering, Vol. 25, 32-42, 2009, (one of the most accessed articles in Feb-June, 2009).
- Perfusion Bioreactor Affects the Nuclear Shape and ECM Structure of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells in 3D Scaffolds. F. Zhao, W. Grayson, and T. Ma*, Journal of Cellular Physiology, 219, 421-429, 2009.
- Photo-initiated grafting of N-maleic acyl-chitosan enhances endothelial cell adhesion, proliferation, and function on PLA surface, AP Zhu, F. Zhao, and T. Ma*, Acta Biomaterialia, 5, 2033-2044, 2009.
- Effects of Shear Stress on 3-D Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell Construct Development in a Perfusion Bioreactor System: Experiments and Hydrodynamic Modeling. F. Zhao, R. Chella, and T. Ma*. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 96:584-595, 2007
- Hypoxia prolongs the in vitro lifespan of human mesenchymal stem cells and stimulates tissue morphogenesis, W. Grayson, B. Bunnell, and T. Ma*. Biochemical Biomedical Research Communications, Vol. 358, Issue 3, 948-953, 2007.
- Electrospinning for Tissue engineering Scaffolds, J. Lannutti*, D. Reneker, T. Ma, D., Tomasko, and D. Farson, Materials Science&Engineering C., 27, 504-509, 2007.
- Effects of hypoxia on human mesenchymal stem cell expansion and plasticity in 3D constructs. W. Grayson, F. Zhao, R. Izadpanah, B. Bunnell, and T. Ma*. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 207, 331-339, 2006.
- Effects of Hydroxyapatite on 3-D Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell Tissue Development. F. Zhao, W. Grayson, T. Ma*, B. Bunnell, and W. Lu. Biomaterials, 27:1859-1867, 2006.
- Effects of Oxygen Transport on 3-D Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell Metabolic Activity in Perfusion and Static Cultures: Experiments and Mathematical Model. F. Zhao, P. Pathi, W. Grayson, Q. Xing, B. Locke, and T. Ma*. Biotechnology Progress, Vol. 21, 1269-1280, 2005.
- Perfusion bioreactor system for human mesenchymal stem cell tissue engineering: Dynamic cell seeding and construct development, F. Zhao and T. Ma*. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 91, 482-493, 2005.
- Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell Tissue Development in 3-D PET Matrices. W. Grayson, T. Ma*, B. Bunnell. Biotechnology Progress, 20, 905-912, 2004.